Regional LGBT+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, +) newspaper, The Gayly, looking for writer/web content creator/social content enhancer/sales.
Founded originally as The Gayly Oklahoman in 1983, now operating as The Gayly, this regional newspaper is the premier and most trusted source of news for LGBT+ and straight allies in the south-central United States. The Gayly covers LGBT+ community topics and events as well as news throughout the state of Oklahoma and surrounding region.
The qualified candidate will have excellent grammar, writing and social media skills. As a small news organization, The Gayly requires its employees to be able to perform multiple functions within the organization as circumstances require. Therefore, the candidate should possess multiple skills within fields such as writing, editing, sales, social media, layout and design using Adobe InDesign, etc.
In this position, you will write daily news stories for The Gayly website and features for the monthly print issue. You will also be responsible for:
- Generating ideas and new editorial content for both the newspaper and electronic products.
- Editing and proofreading news pieces and articles.
- Managing the workflow for social media.
- Building a network of sources.
- May oversee work of interns.
- Utilizing social media to share daily editorial content.
- Cultivating content from our affiliate, CNN.
- May be called upon to participate in ad sales.
- 4-year college degree, or 2 years of writing experience for a newspaper, print magazine or website.
- Ability to interview sources by phone and face-to-face.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Knowledge of social media.
- Occasional weekend work required.
- Writing experience.
- Excellent understanding of the LGBT+ community.
- Journalism, English or Communications degree.
- Understanding of basic technology.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Design products, social media.
The Gayly is committed to providing a challenging and cooperative work environment where employees are treated as a valued resource in a stable and supportive work environment:
- Exciting work environment.
- Dress in business casual attire.
- Small business environment.
- Ideas are encouraged.
- Opportunities to rapidly move up within the company.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
The job is located in Oklahoma City and can be full or part-time.
TO APPLY: Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.