Experienced writer needed
Regional LGBT+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, +) newspaper, The Gayly, looking for writer/web content creator/social content enhancer.
Founded originally as The Gayly Oklahoman in 1983, now operating as The Gayly, this regional newspaper is the premier and most trusted source of news for LGBT+ and straight allies in the south-central United States. The Gayly covers LGBT+ community topics and events as well as news throughout the state of Oklahoma and surrounding region.
The qualified candidate will cover stories within the LGBT+ spectrum, work with Associated Press and CNN news sites for The Gayly content creation and will share this news on social media platforms. We are currently looking for a candidate to develop polished, well-written stories for the publication and website.
In this position, you will write daily news stories for The Gayly website and features for the monthly print issue. You will also be responsible for:
- Generating ideas and new editorial content for both the newspaper and electronic products
- Editing and proofreading news pieces and articles
- Managing the workflow for social media
- Building a network of sources
- May oversee work of interns
- Utilizing social media to share daily editorial content
- Cultivating content from our affiliates (CNN and AP)
- 4-year college degree, or:
- 2 years of writing experience for a newspaper, print magazine or website (other than a blog)
- Proven ability to interview sources by phone and face-to-face
- Experience working in a deadline-driven environment
- Proven ability to write clearly and concisely
- Proven knowledge of social media
- Some weekend work required
- Writing experience
- Excellent understanding of the LGBT+ community
- Journalism or communications degree
- Understanding of basic technology
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, social media
The Gayly is committed to providing a challenging and cooperative work environment where employees are treated as a valued resource in a stable and supportive work environment:
- Exciting work environment
- Dress in business casual attire
- Small business environment
- Ideas are encouraged
- Opportunities to move up within company
- Salary commensurate with experience
The job is located in Oklahoma City and is part-time, currently.
TO APPLY: Send resume to email@example.com