Be Prideful with Unicorn Popcorn
by Scotty Irani
With all the hoopla of a certain worldwide coffee house’s “Unicorn” inspired beverage, I thought a unicorn inspired treat for Pride was in order.
Now the challenge with this popcorn recipe is having all your ducks (or colors) in a row. The reward is having a beautifully sweet, colorful, extraordinary snack for your Pride gatherings that are as wonderful as you are.
As for the colors in your popcorn: There are a wide variety of color options available in your local grocery store. Pastels, neutrals, or mix and match your own. For “Unicorn” colors I like blues, pinks, purples and a little orange. If you would rather stick to Pride colors remember the acronym for the rainbow: ROY G BIV (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet).
2 cups organic pop-corn kernels
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Pop your popcorn by adding the oil to a large heavy bottom pan with a lid. Pour in the corn kernels, and heat on the stove top. Play the Jiffy Pop game, and constantly shake the pan the second you hear the corn popping. This keeps everything moving and the corn popping.
For The Colored Syrups & Sprinkles:
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
Pinch of kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Food coloring (there are several varieties; they can be found in the bake aisle of your grocery store)
As many edible sprinkle options as you like (sugar crystals, pearl dust, edible glitter, dragées)
2. Add the sugar and water to a sauce pan. Add the salt and vanilla and simmer five minutes until all the sugar has dissolved and you have a nice smooth syrup.
For The Unicorn Popcorn:
3. Divide the popcorn into large bowls as to how many color options you’re using.
4. Divide the sugar syrup into bowls the same way. Add the colors you’re using into those bowls and mix.
5. Pour the colored syrups into each individual bowl and coat the popcorn.
6. On a large surface (I used my countertop) lay down aluminum foil. Pour out the colored corn onto the surface in one even layer. Sprinkle your various sprinkles on top and allow the unicorn popcorn to dry.
7. Serve in one large bowl or platter, or bag up individually for your friends.
Love you guys…have a fun and safe Pride - and be that Unicorn!
Copyright 2017 The Gayly – June 7, 2017 @ 12:40 p.m.