Dutch Baby Pancakes with Lemon Curd and Fresh Blueberries
by Scotty Irani
After all these years, you guys know I’m a sentimental romantic for breakfast-in-bed. This Valentine’s Day I’m thinking big and beautiful Dutch Baby Pancakes, fresh from the oven with my homemade lemon curd and fresh blueberries, would be the perfect way to show that “Dutch Baby” in my bed how much I love him today.
Now, if I could only remember his name.
Enjoy! Chef Scotty
For the Dutch Baby Pancakes
2/3 cup tepid / room temp whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, room temp
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Good pinch kosher salt
3 tablespoons clarified butter or melted ghee
Homemade Lemon Curd (recipe below)
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven with a cast iron or oven-safe skillet inside to 425 degrees. This is going to be HOT taking out of the oven and putting back in, so make sure you are awake and the oven mitts are handy.
2. In a blender, combine the room temp milk, eggs, flour, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth.
3. Remove the iron skillet carefully from the oven, add the clarified butter or ghee, and pour in the batter. You’re basically making a large flat “popover”, so hot pan and smooth eggy batter is what makes this work. Place back in the oven and bake 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and brush with a little butter. Plate the Dutch Baby and add a good dollop of my homemade lemon curd, some fresh blueberries, and plenty of powdered sugar.
For the Lemon Curd (Prepare the night before)
2/3 cups fresh lemon juice (about 5 large lemons)
1 full tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1 1/3 cups sugar
10 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
5 large eggs
1. Heat the lemon juice, zest, sugar, and salt to a simmer. Add the butter and melt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Slowly pour in the hot lemon (temper), mixing steadily, until all has been mixed in.
3. Return to the stove and slowly heat. Stir constantly and cook until thickened. Remove from the heat, strain into a clean bowl through a hand strainer, wrap, and chill.
Copyright 2017 The Gayly - 2/9/2017 @ 7:33 a.m. CDT