Tailgating with Chef Scotty
by Scotty Irani
I bet y’all were looking for something with pumpkins, huh?
Well, I hate being predictable…especially when it comes to food. Yes, it’s October and Halloween (a.k.a., gay Christmas) is coming up, so no candied apples, pumpkin spiced whatever, or anything that has anything to do with squash.
October is also about college football season, and perish the thought the readers of The Gayly and notably my column, not have something amazing to cook at a tailgate party. So here we go my butch gays and…. lesbians in general… Korean Crispy Wings! Go Sports and Enjoy!
1 dozen chicken wings, cut in half, wing tips removed (you can ask your butcher to do this)
4 tablespoons dry sherry
4 tablespoons mirin (a type of rice wine)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons ITK’s “Cook’s Line Seasoning”
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cup corn starch
1 1/2 cups dry puffed cereal (Snap Crackle Pop)
1/4 cup Gochujang (If you’re into fermented Korean chili paste, this is for you)
[purchase in OKC at Super Cao Nguyen in the Asian District]
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon sherry
2 tablespoons soy
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon grated ginger
Cilantro and green onion to garnish
- Mix all “wings” ingredients together and marinate up to an hour.
- Pulse 1 cup rice cereal in a spice grinder or crush in a plastic bag until you have a mix of fine powder and some larger pieces. Mix with corn starch.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade.
- Mix all glaze ingredients and set aside.
- Pour frying oil into your favorite tailgate fryer so you have enough to fry several wings at a time. Fry in batches, not all at once. Heat to just shy of 350°. Toss wings with starch and cereal mixture, adding back a little bit of marinade to help the mixture stick. Fry several at a time for 6 to 8 minutes each. Drain on paper towels.
- Toast remaining 1/4 cup rice cereal in a fry pan with a teaspoon of oil.
- Toss wings with glaze, garnish with cilantro, green onions, and toasted rice cereal, and eat right away.
The Gayly – October 8, 2015 @ 8am.