Trump's love for praise leads GOP into ass-kissing frenzy
by Robin Dorner
Editor in Chief
“Thank you, Mr. Trump for all you are doin',” praises Mitch McConnell.
“Exquisite presidential leadership, Mr. President. Thank you for getting us over the finish line,” Paul Ryan chimed.
“Mr. President, I have to say that you’re living up to everything I thought you would,” added Orin Hatch.
Several other GOP leaders chimed in with their praise as well today on CNN’s The Lead With Jake Tapper.
Tapper said Trump seems to have found his own renewable energy source, “Praise from Republican’s on Capitol Hill.”
Tapper’s guest, former GOP Senator Rick Santorum, shakes his head agreeing and said, “They want to tee-up the president to say, ‘hey, look what happens when you win. You get lots of people saying nice things, you’re doing good, your poll numbers are gonna’ go up, the American public is gonna’ be jazzed, so this was more of a pep rally for the president to make him feel like, hey we want to do this again and maybe working with us is a good idea.
“I give him a lot of credit. I know for some, it’s hard to take, but I think it was very well-designed."
Santorum said the most important vote is always “the next one.”
Political commentator Nina Turner said, “What this tax bill has shown is that money really can buy you love. That kind of love is coming from a president who has talked about everybody from Speaker Ryan to leader Mitch McConnell.
“Now all of a sudden, it’s all about love.”
She said Democrats need to continue connecting with the people and “really show that this GOP tax plan is really a giveaway for the most wealthy people in this country at the expense of the working poor and middle class in this country.”
Earlier this week in a post-tax bill meeting, VP Pence praised Trump once every second for nearly three minutes straight. That’s 14 acclamations in less than time than it takes to, well, take out the trash.
Here's the full list:
- “Thank you for seeing, through the course of this year, an agenda that truly is restoring this country.”
- “You described it very well, Mr. President.”
- “You've restored American credibility on the world stage.”
- “You've signed more bills rolling back federal red tape than any president in American history.”
- “You've unleashed American energy.”
- “You've spurred an optimism in this country that's setting records.”
- “You promised the American people in that campaign a year ago that you would deliver historic tax cuts, and it would be a 'middle-class miracle.' And in just a short period of time, that promise will be fulfilled.”
- “I’m deeply humbled, as your vice president, to be able to be here."
- “Because of your leadership, Mr. President, and because of the strong support of the leadership in the Congress of the United States, you're delivering on that middle-class miracle.”
- “You've actually got the Congress to do, as you said, what they couldn’t do with [the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska] for 40 years.”
- “You got the Congress to do, with tax cuts for working families and American businesses, what they haven’t been able to do for 31 years.”
- “And you got Congress to do what they couldn’t do for seven years, in repealing the individual mandate in Obamacare.”
- “Mostly, Mr. President, I’ll end where I began and just tell you, I want to thank you, Mr. President. I want to thank you for speaking on behalf of and fighting every day for the forgotten men and women of America.”
- “Because of your determination, because of your leadership, the forgotten men and women of America are forgotten no more. And we are making America great again.”
Pence then referred to those sitting at the table as “your outstanding team” and “your great legislative team.”
Tapper said Vice President Trump takes praising the president to a whole new level.
According to CNN, voters currently prefer Democrats by 18 percent in 2018.
Tapper asked if the panel thought a democratic wave is coming. Watch this video to see how the panel responds.
CNN video. Copyright The Gayly, all rights reserved. 12/24/2017 @11:04 a.m. CST.